SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

join us
Register

2018 Euro Meet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2018 Euro Meet

Post  Richy Y on Sat 05 Aug 2017, 22:52

Just seen a post on FB and it looks like Italy 8-10 June for next year. Going to get it in the diary at work straight away. I'm sure when we get more details we can start the invasion details  uk flag but we are both going come hell or high water.

Richy Y

Back to top Go down

Re: 2018 Euro Meet

Post  dcapaldi45 on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 09:31

Same here can't wait

Darren rock

dcapaldi45

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 09:47

Looks like that'll be a weeks holiday for me then

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 10:10

Depending where in Italy it is it will be around 1000 miles from Calais so I would be looking at doing it over 2 weeks if riding all the way.
Sitting on autoroutes for 800 miles in a day is not fun I've tried it.

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 10:16

Italy is the most popular motorail destination of all, and no wonder. Until 2014 there were two companies offering Motorail to Italy, but both DB Autozug and Autoslaaptrein (Dutch Motorail) have now been discontinued.

Treinreiswinkel: The good news is that a Dusseldorf to Verona overnight motorail train has been reinstated by Dutch company Treinreiswinkel, running on Friday nights southbound and Saturdays nights northbound from May until late September, see www.treinreiswinkel.nl/reizen/autotrein (in Dutch, use Google translate or just contact them, they speak good English). Düsseldorf is a 3 hour 45 minute drive from Calais, or just a 2 hours 30 minute drive from Hoek van Holland, Rotterdam or IJmuiden where the ferries from Harwich, Hull & Newcastle arrive. The service is popular, so book early! See the information below.

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

2018 Euro Meet

Post  Richy Y on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 13:25

That's the way I think I would prefer Martin, over to Germany and get the train down. More time to spend in Italy but I think it would mean turning it into our main 2 weeks holiday.

Richy Y

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 18:14

Bring it on I say, like the idea of the train so we'll have more time exploring Italy, just an idea but what about Vic's mate who transports bikes to the South Of France ?

Get a flight down pick em up and ride over to Italia and yes we'd make a holibobs of it also dance

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  majalomalk on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 18:47

we would also be thinking of making it a two week holiday maybe getting there the quick route and just chilling and a leisurely ride back seeing as much as possible thumb

majalomalk
Club Treasurer

Club Treasurer

Back to top Go down

Post  dcapaldi45 on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 19:30

Definitely 2 weeks Holiday in order for this event

Darren thumbs

dcapaldi45

Back to top Go down

Post  thebeastmaster on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 19:46

You could also think about the bike shuttle from Northamptonshire.  It goes to Geneva which is approx 400 miles from the destination. We used this last year when touring Italy ,Austria , France , Austria .  The service works well , they take you to Luton so it's a case of booking the easyJet flight 1st , then your bikes arrive next morning around 11 ish . Just throwing in another option.

thebeastmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 19:49

@thebeastmaster wrote:You could also think about the bike shuttle from Northamptonshire.  It goes to Geneva which is approx 400 miles from the destination. We used this last year when touring Italy ,Austria , France , Austria .  The service works well , they take you to Luton so it's a case of booking the easyJet flight 1st , then your bikes arrive next morning around 11 ish . Just throwing in another option.

Is this a bike transportation service ?????

Prices ?????

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  thebeastmaster on Sun 06 Aug 2017, 19:52

Yes Dave. It bespoke mate. Check it out.

thebeastmaster

Back to top Go down

2018 Euro Meet

Post  Richy Y on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 00:13

The venue has been announced on the IOCH, it's to be held in Ravenna.

Richy Y

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 08:27

1200 miles each way, going to need another new rear tyre.
Looked on the train website yesterday €550 to €700 one way for a couple and bike Shocked

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 12:59

Just had a look at that train from Dùsseldorf if we travelled to Verona on it overnight then we'd have a 189km ride down to ravenna the next day just have to get a price

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 13:13

@fairweatherrider wrote:Just had a look at that train from Dùsseldorf if we travelled to Verona on it overnight then we'd have a 189km ride down to ravenna the next day just have to get a price
r
I looked last night and for September this year (next year wasn't on) it was around €540 to €750 for two people and bike one way depending on if you shared a cabin or not .
I guess if you add up petrol and 4 nights hotels to ride down it's similar but it only runs Fridays so you either arrive a day late or six early.

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 13:16

No 2018 bookings can't be done yet I was just looking at the route there's 2 verona and livorno verona is closest to the venue

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  IANTHAIN25 on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 20:10

@thebeastmaster wrote:You could also think about the bike shuttle from Northamptonshire.  It goes to Geneva which is approx 400 miles from the destination. We used this last year when touring Italy ,Austria , France , Austria .  The service works well , they take you to Luton so it's a case of booking the easyJet flight 1st , then your bikes arrive next morning around 11 ish . Just throwing in another option.

Sounds good Neil. Already thinking about this, would love to do some of the Austrian roads while there, like theGrossGlockner alpine pass

IANTHAIN25

Back to top Go down

2018 Euro Meet

Post  Richy Y on Mon 07 Aug 2017, 21:01

Another option, and this runs on a more regular basis, is Paris to Nice. Bikes go overnight on one train, passenger's got on the ATV, about 5 1/2 hours so you get a night in Nice and pick your bike up the following morning. It's then about 500 km to the proposed venue and a good ride along the coast, possibly split it over a couple of day's. Not sure of the price for the bike transport but the ATV is between 20 and 40 euro each. Something else to think of. Don't really care how we get there but we are definitely going.

Richy Y

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 11:56

Anyone thinking of riding the whole trip? Two to three days either side and you would get some good riding in.

marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  IANTHAIN25 on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:25

@marshman wrote:Anyone thinking of riding the whole trip?  Two to three days either side and you would get some good riding in.

Would love to mate but don't think my knees will make it. Maybe do a combination of ride one way, train the other. Beastmasters option sounds good to me.

IANTHAIN25

Back to top Go down

Post  marshman on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:40

@IANTHAIN25 wrote:
@marshman wrote:Anyone thinking of riding the whole trip?  Two to three days either side and you would get some good riding in.

Would love to mate but don't think my knees will make it. Maybe do a combination of ride one way, train the other. Beastmasters option sounds good to me.

Fair do's Ian , don't blame ya in that case

marshman

Back to top Go down

Post  HILLWALKER on Tue 08 Aug 2017, 23:36

mk

Sweet talking Amanda into this has already started thumbs thumbs thumbs

By 2018 she will be looking forward it wink wink

HILLWALKER

Back to top Go down

Post  bamkats on Wed 09 Aug 2017, 16:24

I'm trying the same with Helen now that the IOM is cancelled thumbs thumbs

bamkats

Back to top Go down

Post  terrystephens10 on Fri 08 Sep 2017, 08:17

Will be in the USA working. Gutted....

terrystephens10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiggy on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 10:37

@marshman wrote:
@IANTHAIN25 wrote:

Fair do's Ian , don't blame ya in that case

I'm liking Beastmasters idea too... as for me, my back would kill me after 1053 mile ride each way.
I will be checking it out fully over the Christmas period, i have the link to the bike transport site (we are in Peterborough, so its not far from us).
As this will be our first time... i'm hoping to tag along with a group riding there, we plan on going hell or high water thumbs

Normally we only have one week break in the summer has our holiday (wife's idea, not mine), so shipping the bike to Geneva and picking it up to ride the last bit works well for us.
Since changing the bike from a Bandit 1200 to this one, the wife now rides on the back massive hug

We now plan on using the bike for weekends away when ever we get the chance (while we can still get about lol)

Andy & Kirsty

Wiggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudemyster on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 19:58

Steve,

Pat and I are riding the whole way there and back over three days each way . Route not finalised yet but that's what we doing..... if a new tyre is needed ...... a new tyre is needed .

Rudemyster

Back to top Go down

Post  IANTHAIN25 on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 20:29

@Rudemyster wrote:

Steve,

Pat and I are riding the whole way there and back over three days each way . Route not finalised yet but that's what we doing..... if a new tyre is needed ...... a new tyre is needed .

Might join you if that's ok

IANTHAIN25

Back to top Go down

Post  mrs spook on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 14:31

We will be going to this one, hopefully, looking to travel both ways on the bike, should take 3 days. Looking forward to it.

mrs spook

Back to top Go down

Post  Rudemyster on Mon 18 Dec 2017, 08:35

Sounds good to me.

Rudemyster

Back to top Go down

Post  IANTHAIN25 on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 18:40

Gonna leave early and stop at a few places on the way. I was going to do the Grossglockner but it's too far out of the way, however, the Stelvio Pass is only 4hours from Ravenna, so might look at staying somewhere near there as well.

IANTHAIN25

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 15:02

Im going to make it my main holiday and take 2 weeks off for it haven't decided on a route yet but i'm taking the tent and camping at the venue

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiggy on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:25

I have been trying to work it out over Christmas, and finally decided on this:
Drop off bike on the 7th of June in Northampton, shuttle lift to Luton airport and fly out on the 7th of June at 1810hrs, one night in hotel, pick up bike on the 8th June at 1130hrs in Geneva… ride to camp and stay until 14th June (depending what time bike must be back at shuttle). Will need hotel stay on 14th in Geneva, flight home 1030hrs on 15th June to UK, shuttle to Northampton to pick up bike and ride home.

Now waiting for Bike shuttle to return my email with advice from them, its our first time, so need all the help i can get.
Riding the whole way is out of the question... my back will not take the strain grandpa , the shuttle is my only hope.
Just wired the bike with USB port and fixed wiring for the TomTom, already have the sissy bar with small rack and panniers, small compressor (plugs straight into the battery via charging port) & storage bag for the rack. Now need the camping gear thumbs

And lets enjoy the miles iocuk

Wiggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambler-Italy on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 12:51

Camping gear?

Rambler-Italy

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiggy on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:06

We plan on using a tent, as there will only be two in our party. Then stay the rest of the week at the site before going home on the Friday

Wiggy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rambler-Italy on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 19:45

Oh, ok no problem. You could also find someone else or IOCUK to share the bungalow with Smile

Rambler-Italy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:42

OK so what's everyone's travel plans ???

You know when yer setting out, when you'll land in Europe, what's yer route etc ???

I understand we all have work/life/money commitments etc but if we can meet up along the way let's do it, praps admin can create a new thread for this to stop it getting tooooo messy with the correspondents ???

Come on let's make a show I know It's winter and I'm as f*cked off with it as you lot but it'll soon be riding time and a time to put a smile on yer face and to meet up with old faces and new one's wink

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 22:50

Ian Thain and myself are setting off on the 1/6/2018 and taking 7 days to get there via france through to Switzerland then ride the Stelvio pass and on to ravena for the 8th then we have a different route planned for the journey back

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 23:13

@fairweatherrider wrote:Ian Thain and myself are setting off on the 1/6/2018 and taking 7 days to get there via france through to Switzerland then ride the Stelvio pass and on to ravena for the 8th then we have a different route planned for the journey back

Nice one Vic, been talking to Bamkats and Richy and we're going from Hull to Rotterdam and to be honest it's God only knows what happens next, we're not booking any hotels or stop overs we're just gonna ride and if we're tired we're gonna stop or if we're not we're gonna carry on all the way to Ravenna, on the way back mind it's probably going to Nice then put the bike on the ATV or is it the SNCF train can't remember right now to Paris then bumble on up towards the coast then Blighty, take in a bit of the South of France whilst there not that Italia Isn't a beautiful country mind, never been to Italia and have put it off for quite a few years, damn those football hooligans, shouldn't say it but Heysel Stadium, God Bless the poor souls, nothing to do with the Italians mind it's that it just got a bit messy after Heysel, well for some people it did, ah fuck it that incident stopped me and me mate and the girls we were with at that time from going to Italia on the Brenner Pass so we never got there, however now is a different time so Italia my friends we're coming to see ya  thumbs  thumbs  thumbs  thumbs  thumbs .

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  dcapaldi45 on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 18:47

Hi Looking to go on the 2nd  of June from Bristol, catching  the ferry  and stopping for the night  in Belgium, then overnight train  from Germany  to Innsbruck
And then 4 days slow riding to italy for the weekend event cool 2

dcapaldi45

Back to top Go down

Post  dcapaldi45 on Tue 09 Jan 2018, 21:21

Remember lads it’s All about the Journey, Not the Destination thumbs

dcapaldi45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Wed 10 Jan 2018, 23:38

@dcapaldi45 wrote:Remember  lads it’s All about the Journey, Not the Destination   thumbs

Very true Darren, we're also looking at the train option, gives us more time to doddle along and keeps the girls happy thumbs

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum