join us
Register

EIC 2017 Finland - Dates & Location.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EIC 2017 Finland - Dates & Location.

Post  Mick on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 15:59

Hi Guys,

Some info for the EIC 2017 Finland

Hello everybody, EIC 2017 is going to be held at 4-6 of August in Punkaharju Resort.
Further informatoin will come, hopefully soon.

Ekku Laine

http://www.punkaharjuresort.fi/en#.V6X6rzW8r9s

Please click HERE if you want to
become a FULL Club Member.

Mick
Club Founder

Club Founder

Back to top Go down

Re: EIC 2017 Finland - Dates & Location.

Post  majalomalk on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 20:28

The venue looks stunning thumbs

majalomalk
Club Treasurer

Club Treasurer

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Sat 06 Aug 2016, 22:58

@majalomalk wrote:The venue looks stunning thumbs
It does Martin but a 4000 mile round trip??? Shocked

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  fairweatherrider on Sun 07 Aug 2016, 22:19

4000 miles and probably 2 weeks holiday for a 3 day event very likely that it's not doable for me next year Sad

fairweatherrider
Membership Secretary

Membership Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick on Mon 08 Aug 2016, 06:38

be cheaper to fly there and hire a car like some the guys that attended EIC UK. thumb

Mick
Club Founder

Club Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  scoobysnacks5555 on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 16:02

Long distance for 3 days, so it's probably best to incorporate it as part of a wider trip. Not something I will be doing sorry to say

scoobysnacks5555

Back to top Go down

Post  owl1947 on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 07:02

I do long rides ,but this one is not for me , ?? no way!

owl1947

Back to top Go down

Post  Lazyboy on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 14:43

Another option - ferry to mainland, (i.e. Hook of Holland) then travel to Germany (about 480 miles from Hook of Holland), and ferry from there to Helsinki (29 hours) and from Helsinki is just a nice ride. So still long time in total but reduced mileage to about 1000 each way. And it is quite expensive - with petrol, 2 ferries, cost of EIC etc £1400 (ferry from Germany to Helsinki will cost about £550-£600). With good planing and saving here and there, maybe a bit cheaper. Still lots of money for me

Lazyboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 17:32

Fresern Svendsberget has put some info on the Clubs Facebook page about a ferry.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/intruder.owners.uk/

Mick
Club Founder

Club Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guzzer on Fri 19 Aug 2016, 17:51

It'll be one of the topics of discussion at the meet next week.

Guzzer
Fallen Brother - RIP

Back to top Go down

EIC Finland

Post  The Judge on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 22:43

Kath & I went to IOC Finland's rally in 2005. We did one in Germany the previous weekend and then went via Denmark across the Oresund Bridge to Malmo in Sweden then through Sweden to Stockholm (a days ride) from where we took the overnight ferry to Turku (Viking Line) and returned to Stockholm on the overnight ferry from Helsinki. These are the best ferries we have travelled on. We were very impressed with Stockholm and it is well worth the couple of nights we stayed. When we did it there was a direct overnight ferry from from Denmark to Harwich so we returned on that. Unfortunately DFDS didn't run it this year but another company has expressed an interest so it is possible it will operate in 2017.  Something to be aware of is that they breath tested all drivers/riders as they came off the ferry in Finland!

Judge

The Judge

Back to top Go down

Trip a'hoy!

Post  geofftl1000r on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 22:39

Sounds just like the kind of trip Andy and myself would be interested in. We actually tried planning a similar trip a few years ago but the ferry crossing we intended to use (to keep inside our 2 weeks holiday limit) was quoting £900 affraid

So this time we are aiming for 3 weeks so we can do justice to the great scenery and not just fly through the country like the Ghost Rider. Laughing
It's definitely something that's been on our biking bucket list for a while.

Would be even better if there was a few more riding with us to help share the JD in the evenings! drool

I think Jessica will be flying over though, as 3 weeks on the back of a bike might lead to some matrimonial discontent Very Happy

....... so how do we book the rooms at the destination? Pretty sure we won't be camping gets a bit monotonous putting tents up every evening and packing them away in the rain in the morning! Laughing whistle

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick on Tue 30 Aug 2016, 22:50

All booking info will be posted once its all arranged and it will need to be via the IOC Finland. thumbs

Mick
Club Founder

Club Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 09:48

@Lazyboy wrote:Another option - ferry to mainland, (i.e. Hook of Holland)  then travel to Germany (about 480 miles from Hook of Holland), and ferry from there to Helsinki (29 hours) and from Helsinki is just a nice ride. So still long time in total but reduced mileage to about 1000 each way. And it is quite expensive - with petrol, 2 ferries, cost of EIC etc £1400 (ferry from Germany to Helsinki will cost about £550-£600). With good planing and saving here and there, maybe a bit cheaper. Still lots of money for me
On the face of it this seems the most logical option but would need at least 7 days traveling each way even if ferrys obliged with sailings.
There has been talk of fly-ride but for me the problem is having to deliver the bike for crating probably a week or two before usually to the London area and then collection afterwards, add the cost time and mileage for that and I may as well do option one and see something more interesting than the M1 and M25.

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 15:56

@The Prospector wrote:
@Lazyboy wrote:Another option - ferry to mainland, (i.e. Hook of Holland)  then travel to Germany (about 480 miles from Hook of Holland), and ferry from there to Helsinki (29 hours) and from Helsinki is just a nice ride. So still long time in total but reduced mileage to about 1000 each way. And it is quite expensive - with petrol, 2 ferries, cost of EIC etc £1400 (ferry from Germany to Helsinki will cost about £550-£600). With good planing and saving here and there, maybe a bit cheaper. Still lots of money for me
On the face of it this seems the most logical option but would need at least 7 days traveling each way even if ferrys obliged with sailings.
There has been talk of fly-ride but for me the problem is having to deliver the bike for crating probably a week or two before usually to the London area and then collection afterwards, add the cost time and mileage for that and I may as well do option one and see something more interesting than the M1 and M25.

I'm waiting to see what Vic comes back with from his mate, got a price of £310 return flights for two from Manchester to Helsinki  and that's Wednesday to Wednesday so only one weeks holiday allowance which goes in our favour as we need more of our holidays to do stuff with the Grandkids etc Smile Smile Smile

Took the first look at the venue and it looks a nice place and the ride up should be good, figured we could spend the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday travelling back to Helsinki nice and steady and like Geoff says see a bit more of the country thumbs

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  The Prospector on Wed 31 Aug 2016, 20:22

Looked at some very rough figures for the overland route for me,
Home to Hull - 80 miles
Ferry to Rotterdam £365 return
Rotterdam to Travemund Germany 400 miles
Ferry Travemund to Helsinki £984 (could not do Aug 2017 so did Sept 2016 price)
Helsinki to Punkaharju 286 miles
All told around 1600 miles riding so around £200+ petrol so around £1550 plus accommodation meals beer etc so although the idea is nice I think I'll be looking at a June break either in northern France or more likely northern Spain

The Prospector

Back to top Go down

Post  pdn561 on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 04:51

Angelo and I were looking at an alternative method of travelling on the bikes using ferries.

Day 1: UK - Norway (Cost approx £470 for 1 rider & 1 bike, return)
There's a DFDS Freight ferry that will take cars and bikes that sails from Immingham to Brevik twice a week
Outward - Wed 0500 to Thu 2400 (approx 43 hours)  or  Sun 0500 to Mon 0800 (approx 27 hours)
Return - Mon 1800 to Wed 2200 (approx 44 hours) or Fri 0400 to Sat 0500 (approx 25 hours)
Cost (approx) £175pp each way (inc room & 3 meals per day) + £60 per bike per leg
With it being a freight ferry, bookings for passengers are generally not taken much in advance, and numbers strictly limited to 12 per sailing in total!

Here's an interesting account of the same journey (return leg) from a few years back - Icelandic Volcano Travel Disruption Leads to Freight Ferry Discovery

Day 2: Overnight Stay in Norway (Oslo) - approx £130 (2 Adults sharing)

Day 3: Norway - Sweden (Cost approx £115 for 1 rider staying overnight & 1 bike's petrol - each way)
Bike Ride - 480 miles  - approx 9 hours riding (without stops) - likely spread over 2 days
Riding from Brevik to Kapellskar via Oslo and Stockholm (avoiding ferries & toll roads)
Overnight stay in Karlstad - approx £130 for 2 Adults sharing twin room, parking included.

Day 4 Sweden - Finland (Cost varies, see below)
There's a Finnlines passenger ferry that will take cars and bikes that sails from Kapellskar to Naantali twice a day with a daytime & overnight option  - approx 10 hours
Cost approx £120 (daytime) or £270 (overnight) both are total prices for return journeys and include 2 Adults sharing a cabin (separate beds), buffet meals and 2 bikes  

Overnight stay in Finland (Helsinki) - approx £150 (2 Adults sharing)

Day 5: Finland - Venue (Cost approx £40 fuel per bike - each way)
Bike Ride - 330 miles - approx 6 hours (without stops)
Riding from Naantali to Punkaharju via Helsinki

Days 6 - 7: Venue Accommodation prices - TBC

Day 8: Overnight stay in Finland (Helsinki) - approx £150 (2 Adults sharing)
Day 9: Overnight Ferry to Sweden (Naantali - Kapellskar) - Return leg (already paid)
Day 10: Overnight stay in Sweden (Karlstad) -  approx £130 (2 Adults sharing)
Day 11: Overnight stay in Norway (Oslo) - approx £140  (2 Adults sharing)
Day 12: Ferry to UK (Immingham) - Return leg (already paid)
Day 13: Ride Home

We'll be investigating further (the price could be lowered a bit with a group of 4 prepared to share a cabin)...

Summary:
Realistically, the only reasonable timings that don't shorten the weekend (the whole point of going!) is to do the Sunday sailing from Immingham, and returning on the Saturday morning, 13 days later.

Basic cost for 1 rider & bike for all ferries, accommodation (based on 2 Adults sharing accommodation) and fuel is approx £1,300
Allowing for a modest £30 budget on the days where food and drink is not provided (breakfast, lunch, dinner & drinks) x 10
Total cost = approx £1,600 per person*

NB: Above excludes EIC Venue Accommodation & Fees!

*This price does not allow for significant FX charges or major currency fluctuations / increase in demand for accommodation. Allowing for some contingency and EIC fees, we probably need to be looking at a budget of up to £2k per person, or £1.5k if you go camping instead of staying in hotels.

pdn561

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 14:38

Crikey Paul that's some breakdown on figures me heads battered now confused confused confused

Good to throw some more light though on what is becoming a very interesting subject on how to get there quickly and cheaply or just getting there to be honest wink

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  pdn561 on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 18:24

Ha ha! Sorry about that Dave! coffee
I thought it might help people make up their minds if I provided the details...  Reading

A lot of the cost is driven by the timings and locations of sailings out of britain that get us somewhere close, and then the number of days that option means we "have" to be in Scandinavia for... rock

In terms of travel preferences and other variables in the above example,  I tried to limit the amount of daily mileage to help spread out the days either side that the freight ferry "forces" us to be there. I also opted to make use of the overnight ferry crossings between Sweden and Finland so we don't lose a day of riding / sight-seeing time (and it's only slightly more cost than a hotel stay on either side - I think Sweden is slightly cheaper than Finland in general).

If I take those assumptions out, it would be possible to shave a bit of time and cost, but we'd have to be ok with doing 6-8 hours in the saddle per day (which is fine with me). There's also potentially some time to be had by not taking the same route back home as going out there.

• Additionally, although I do think it looks expensive on the surface, that Immingham to Brevik freight crossing is pretty cost effective when you consider it removes several hundred miles from the ridden journey and a couple of night's accommodation as a result.
  • I also considered that accommodation needn't be hotels, but while I'm personally happy to go camping, it will only work in a group where we can share out the burden of taking the kit on multiple bikes -unless anybody fancies going Bear Grills style?!  eyebrows

The bottom line is, that if you want to do the journey justice on a bike, as Judge said (no pun intended!), it's going to need a good 3 days either side of the weekend, and serious progress / miles per day. For a more enjoyable traveling experience (one for the grandkids / scrapbook etc.), or to allow days off riding (which is possible in the above itinerary for at least a day either side) -it's a 5-6 day journey either side of the main event, and that almost doubles the cost! I can't see much of a way around that so far...

Again, for me personally, I am lucky enough that I can book two weeks off work to go.
(I was hoping it would be possible to use that freedom to find a less expensive way of doing it!)
hmmm  

Anyway, we have not finished researching fully yet, so still looking for other options.
(However, in all scenarios, I want to be able to ride there.)
bike

Hope that helps,
Paul.

pdn561

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Fri 02 Sep 2016, 23:55

Was kinda thinking of this route IF we can get 3 weeks off work....

Around 5000 miles I think it is. Might have to get some Monkey Butt cream for this one.

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparks on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 14:02

@geofftl1000r wrote:Was kinda thinking of this route IF we can get 3 weeks off work....

Around 5000 miles I think it is. Might have to get some Monkey Butt cream for this one.

You won't need Monkey Butt cream Geoff you'll need an arse transplant after that affraid

Once in a lifetime event though so go for it I reckon respect

Sparks
Vice President

Vice President

Back to top Go down

Post  pdn561 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 16:11

@geofftl1000r wrote:Was kinda thinking of this route IF we can get 3 weeks off work..

Wow! That would be a real Odyssey of a journey. Are you serious about that, and have you looked into it any further yet?

Sounds like what the Judge did when they went?

Epic... Shocked

pdn561

Back to top Go down

Post  Jimbo on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 17:08

@Sparks wrote:
@geofftl1000r wrote:Was kinda thinking of this route IF we can get 3 weeks off work....

You won't need Monkey Butt cream Geoff you'll need an arse transplant after that affraid

Once in a lifetime event though so go for it I reckon respect

C'mon mate forget the butt cream & pay cash like everyone else roll on floor laughi

Jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Tue 04 Oct 2016, 22:17

The holiday is booked. 3 weeks from the 22nd, that gives us 2 weeks to get to Cape North then the meet and a week to get back to the UK and work.

Cream is by far the cheapest option as all the money will get spent on petrol, lodgings and food. Might have a little left over for beer though. cheers

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  The Judge on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 22:53

That's similar to what Kath and I are planning to do. We will probably take the freight ferry from Immingham, ride up to the Nordkapp and then enter Finland from the north. Haven't done detailed timings yet but we want to visit the Fjords and then Alasund, Trondheim, Tromso etc. Will probably come back on the ferry to Sweden unless the pound has a miracle recovery and we take the long way round via the Baltic states.

The Judge

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Tue 01 Nov 2016, 21:33

@The Judge wrote:That's similar to what Kath and I are planning to do. We will probably take the freight ferry from Immingham, ride up to the Nordkapp and then enter Finland from the north. Haven't done detailed timings yet but we want to visit the Fjords and then Alasund, Trondheim, Tromso etc. Will probably come back on the ferry to Sweden unless the pound has a miracle recovery and we take the long way round via the Baltic states.

We haven't sat down and worked out any timings yet. We have considered doing some slow site seeing days then some fast, making progress type days with the aim of making up enough time to spend a whole day and 2 nights in the same place.
 Mostly, I guess, it will be the weather that dictates everything. We've done enough trips/miles in the pouring rain to know what keeps us warm and dry but it is much more tiring in poor conditions.
 Hopefully we can meet up somewhere along the route. thumb

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Tue 31 Jan 2017, 18:10

We actually got around to doing some planning this weekend.

We booked a ferry from Hirtshals to Bergen. It's an overnight trip so we will be getting closer to the target of North Cape while sleeping off the hangover....
The ferry arrives around 12:30 so we will have enough time to get 100 miles riding in before for our first night in Norway. Just need to look for a cheap place to stay around Hermansverk.

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  pdn561 on Fri 03 Feb 2017, 21:32

@geofftl1000r wrote: We booked a ferry from Hirtshals to Bergen.  

What date / time are you sailing Geoff?

Paul.

pdn561

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Sun 05 Feb 2017, 22:09

Hi Paul,
We leave Hirtshals on the 23/07/2017 @ 20:00 and arrive in Bergen on the 24/07/2017 @ 12:30.

We then have all afternoon to get to GUDVANGEN HOTELLDRIFT AS www.gudvangen.com. It's only just over 90 miles so should be a nice easy days ride.

Geoff

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

Post  geofftl1000r on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 16:39

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the hotels in Norway and Finland fill up early or if we would be ok riding and looking for something on the day?
We plan on camping in the main but want a hotel every 4 days or so to dry out. Not sure if to plan the hotel stops now or wing on the day?
Cheers Geoff

geofftl1000r

Back to top Go down

EIC 2017 Booking Info

Post  The Judge on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 09:00

I've just received this from the the President of IOC Finland:-

Intruder Club Finland politely asks you to join EIC 2017 at 4-6.8.2017.
Party will be held at Punkaharju Resort: http://www.punkaharjuresort.fi, near town of Savonlinna.
Address: Tuunaansaarentie 4, 58450 Punkaharju Finland
Gates will be open at 4th of august at 12.00

Prices:
2 person apartment - total 380€
2+2 person apartment - total 560€
1 person tent - 80€
Apartment price is total price including 2 nights, 2 breakfasts, 1 supper and an EIC2017 patch for each person.
Tent price is per person including as above.

Application form must be sent before 30.04.2017.
Total amount of reservation must be paid before 15.05.2017.

There wasn't a booking form attached so I'm making further enquiries.

The Judge

Back to top Go down

Post  Vermin on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 22:00

@The Judge wrote:I've just received this from the the President of IOC Finland:-

Intruder Club Finland politely asks you to join EIC 2017 at 4-6.8.2017.
Party will be held at Punkaharju Resort: http://www.punkaharjuresort.fi, near town of Savonlinna.
Address: Tuunaansaarentie 4, 58450 Punkaharju Finland
Gates will be open at 4th of august at 12.00

Prices:
2 person apartment - total 380€
2+2 person apartment - total 560€
1 person tent - 80€
Apartment price is total price including 2 nights, 2 breakfasts, 1 supper and an EIC2017 patch for each person.
Tent price is per person including as above.

Application form must be sent before 30.04.2017.
Total amount of reservation must be paid before 15.05.2017.

There wasn't a booking form attached so I'm making further enquiries.

I am in possession of the booking form document, just about to post a link to it in a new topic! thumb

Vermin
Club President

Club President

Back to top Go down

Post  pdn561 on Wed 01 Mar 2017, 22:27

Does anybody know if the tent price is just for a pitch to use, or inclusive of an actual tent? (I'm guessing you'd have access to some sort of toilet / wash block / sauna / ice bath etc?)

freezing

pdn561

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum